We are now in this year’s Hedgehog Awareness Week and below are some simple steps you can take to help these darling but endangered creatures that are all around us. They are part of our ecosystem and face so many dangers on a daily basis so let’s have some respect for them and help them on their way.
There are many simple things we can all do to help hedgehogs:
- Create a log pile that will offer shelter and food
- Build a Hedgehog Home (see plans at https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/hedgehog-homes/)
- Move piles of rubbish to a new site before burning it.
- Check areas carefully before mowing or strimming.
- Ensure netting is kept at a safe height.
- Check compost heaps before digging the fork in.
- Stop or reduce the amount of pesticides and poisons used.
- Cover drains or deep holes.
- Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds & pools.
Courtesy of: http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk
Here’s one of mine I captured on the cam (I think it’s a female, waiting for clarification):
Sign up for free at Hedgehog Street HERE for lots of resources and information. Thank you.
©Emma Powell 2020